Friday, July 26, 2013

Keeping it Cool in Puerto Rico

My family and I decided to take a trip to La Concha Resort in San Juan, Puerto Rico as a post-wedding treat for my mother. The second I stepped foot out of the airport, the sun beat down on the back of my neck as the moisture caused my clothing to stick. Once I got back to the hotel I immediately changed from my charcoal skinny jeans and thick white / navy gingham button-down into the combination you'll find below. 

The beige chino shorts I'm wearing are very comfortable, light, and airy. As a mater of fact, they used to be pants before I got a little crazy with my best friend (a pair of scissors) and did away with all the extra fabric. What I like most about the shorts, at least for this occasion, is that they mimic the soft colors of the sand you find on the beaches; moreover, my powder blue +American Apparel shirt matches that of the Puerto Rican sky. I topped off the entire outfit with a contrasting chestnut leather belt my uncle owned in the 80's and a pair of navy +Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes which match the various shades of the ocean quite well. Over all, I decided to keep the look very simple, understated, and natural - even leaving out some of the black accessories I never seem to take off. An overwhelming amount of layering and dark coloring would be silly under these weather conditions as well. However, something that might work and that I may attempt later is utilizing neons and brighter colors as many of the residents in the area do. Perhaps a tangerine similar to that of the backdrop in my photos. What do you all think? 



No comments:

Post a Comment